Monday, August 30, 2010

824 Liberty Street, A Burg Backyard



824 Liberty Street, A Burg Backyard
This was our backyard. It has at various times:
A Swing Set , A Picnic Table with Benches, A
Clothes Line, A Plastic Pool, Bikes, A Tent,
Mary (In a half shell), Tomatoes, Peppers,
Roses, A Cocker Spaniel (when we let him out),
Lightning Bugs on summer nights, Falling leaves
from the Trees next door, A Hose and a Sprinkler...

One time I was Lawnboy for Mom and accidently ran
over a Sun Flower.. She was furious. I didnt know
what it was..I thought it was a weed..lol:)

4 comments:

JoeZ said...

Mack: It's great to remember the things of your old house. I use to fire fastball against the wall of brick building in the back thinking I was a great pitcher, until the day I broke the window of Mr. Vollmer's shop, he charged me 50 cents to repair it. He and his wife were nice people. Pulling weeds in the garden for my mom. Stuff like that is great to remember.

Mack said...

Hi Joe:)
I used to say the committee of mom
voted 1-0 that I be yardboy:)

Anonymous said...

Every old timer seemed to have the green thumb. With my grandfathers garden, nothing went to waste and if it was on the table it went into that garden. A careful examination of that black soil would reveal coffee grounds and shards of bones and whatever came up just boomed out of the ground.

I later patterned my first garden after my grandfathers. Peppers and tomatoes and cukes and zucchini. And I was giving all the neighbors bags and bags of stuff. I though I was the summer neighborhood hero and dropped like five bags off on porches before I went off to work.

Then I found four of the bags returned that night when I got home.

Skip

Anonymous said...

Mary in a half shell?

Joe will know who I'm talking about but on Lanning some "rich folks" had a built in pool. Two nice daughters and in eighth grade they had a pool party but did not invite the ruffians.

Now I heard these ruffians were not so rude as to destroy things so they carefully put all the metal lawn furniture in the pool as if it were arranged on the lawn. All of it till they got to "Mary" and there was no way we .. er the ruffians would risk damnation by messing with a holy image.

I hope.

Skip