Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Party In The Burg in 1956 with Salvatore Scardone

A Party In The Burg in 1956 with Salvatore Scardone
(From a posting found on the net)

Harry C wrote.......

Not to bore you, but this month marks a very important
event for me...50 legal years in firworks! This was 1956.
I graduated from highschool at the ripe old age of 18,
and although I had been working with fireworks illegally
since the age of 15, this was a special occasion since I
was legal to work in the craft for the very first time.
Salvatore Scardone and his wife threw a special party
for me which was so lavish that I remember it today.
Nearly 50 people attended, and their were at least ten
differnt dishes on the table, plus gallons of home made
Italian wine (CK Fortissimo is the closest thing that
you can buy that comes anywhere close to this stuff
today.) After dinner, the fireworks were fired, right
in the very center of Trenton, NJ (actually Chambersburg
if you are familiar with the area). Not little stuff,
but 5" multi-breaks with bottom shots. Nobody complained
to the police, but since 4 police officers and the local
parish priest were there for the meal, complaints would
have likely done little good. That's simply how life was
back in 1956. I went off to college later in the fall of
that same year, and everything changed, but not entirely
for the better. I belive that the turning point was a few
years later on the day that President Kennedy was killed.
As thy say, everyone remembers where they were and what
they were doing at that moment in history. I can't speak
for everyone, but I can share with you that at the moment
that the president's death was announced, I was standing
beneath the clock in Philadelphia's 30th Street Station
waiting for my train. Our country has never been quite
the same since that event, even after men from Earth
walked on the moon. In some ways, 1956 was a far more
pleasant time to live in than 2006. Maybe that's why I
cling to the traditional fireworks technology...that
never changes and will be constant forever. Extremely
low technology, made with simple tools, but it still
is capable of producing results that exceed anything
else. (At least in my opinion.)

Kindest regards to all... Harry C.

No comments: