Monday, March 21, 2011

Before It Was Columbus Park



Before It Was Columbus Park.

Thank You Marge Miccio for the best picture I have ever seen
of this building. It was once a home for the orphan children
of the civil war era and then was a school for the deaf..
hence "deefees" the nickname of the park.After this building
was torn down it became Chestnut Park named after the street
and then became Columbus Park. I am usually a fan of older
buildings and typically oppose them being torn down, but in
this case the people of the Burg needed a park and this
location was just perfect:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that with the State expanding and the changes it was too small and became the Katzenbach School in West Trenton. What year was it demolished? I think The Marie Katzenbach school was from the early 1940's.

skip

Mack said...

Hi Skip.
I think your timing is very good here and thanks for adding the name of the school it became:)

Anonymous said...

There is irony in all things. That is the first time I have ever seen a good photo of the school and my first thought was the cacophony of all of those kids running around.

I will confess to having a "moment" of confusion (smack head), driving by the Katzenbach school a few years back and seeing a marching band going down the field along Ferry Road.

skip

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI MAC....I CAN VAGLEY RECALL THAT BUILDING, ALTHOUGH I KNEW A FEW WHO ATTENDED WHO WERE BORN DEAF. WE CALLED IT THE DEAFIES AND ENJOYED ALL THE CHANGES IT MADE THROUGH THE YEARS. REGARDS.