Monday, September 13, 2010

Fred "Tex" Harris of the Burg Legends , The Santuzza Oilers

Fred "Tex" Harris of the Burg Legends , The Santuzza Oilers

Freds Daughter said he lived on Liberty Street.

She also wrote:

I'm Stacie, "Tex's" daughter. This is actually my email since
my dad doesn't have a computer. He was thrilled to hear back
and I've called him to let him know of your response and he's
going to get back with you w/more info, but here's what all
I can tell you.....

They called him Tex because he's from Texas, he and his parents
had moved up to Trenton from Ft Worth, Tx when he was around 19.
They only lived there a short while, but he was missing playing
football and through some guys he worked with, he learned about
the Santuzza Oilers. He joined up and played in 1949. They did
play for the championship that year, but lost. He was probably
one of the smaller guys, but did get lots of play time and ball
carries. Their coach was Mammy, and he called my dad a foreigner
because he was pretty much the only guy on the team without an
Italian surname. He reallly enjoyed playing there, and if there
are still any guys living from his year, he'd love to find them.
He will turn 80 this August. He still has his Santuzza Oilers
Jacket....we'll try to get a pic of him in it to send to you.
He was just excited to be able to find any thing whatsoever
about those days. He only lived there one or two years, but
has fond memories. The whole family came back to Texas, and
Fort Worth, and so, no we have no other family there. My
parents married in Fort Worth and lived many places, but
settled back in Dallas to raise my sister and me. They moved
to west Texas while I was in college, and since then, my mom
has passed and my dad has come to live near me and my family
in Austin. And now gets to watch my son play Pop Warner football.
Thanks so much for your reply. The Burg sounds like a great
place to have grown up, enjoy your memories and we'll be back
in touch soon!
Stacie

Thank You so much for this Stacie. I await more memories from
Fred and hope some folks remember him here:)

No comments: