Friday, January 6, 2012

A Chico's Harley Davidson Story (1062 South Broad Street, The Burg)

A Chico's Harley Davidson Story (1062 South Broad Street,
The Burg)

When Carl Fronk returned from his tour of duty in Vietnam
in June 1968, the first thing on his mind wasn’t finding
a job — it was finding a new Harley-Davidson Sportster.
“I walked into Chico’s Harley-Davidson in Trenton, N.J.,
which was right over the bridge from where I lived. I
tried to cut a deal, but he wasn’t having any of it. But
then he pointed to this Harley-Davidson XLCH and said I
could have that for $25 off list price because nobody
wanted an ugly green Sportster.
“It didn’t matter to me what color the bike was because
I was going to take it home and paint it anyway,” says
Carl. A week later, he was riding around on his shiny
new black Sportster.
When Carl shipped out to Vietnam, he left behind a
1961 XLCH Sportster that he’d bought in 1963 with 900
miles on the clock, and used every day to ride to school.
And two or three times a week, he’d have a blast at the
local drags. He was 16 when he bought it, and Carl rode
his Sportster until the day he got on the bus to boot
camp at age 18. No wonder he dreamed about owning another
Harley every day he was in Vietnam, and couldn’t wait to
get his hands on a new one when he got back home 21 long
months later — even if it turned out to be the ugly
green one.

This is from a site found on the net:)

2 comments:

Music Masti said...

Nice Posting

Anonymous said...

Chico had a reputation for being so tight he could squeeze the proverbial nickel and make the buffalo pass gas!

On a number of occasions I ordered a part for my 250 Italian "Harley" of my vintage Army, 1942 45 flattie. Now he wanted cash each time you ordered and I can understand that but each time I would get a call and run down to get the part only to be told "Harley" upped the price and I owed him another $2.50 and then another $3.00. You kind of knew that was going to happen and hey, he was the only game in town, it was Broad Street or Edison.

Skip