Saturday, November 19, 2011

Trionfetti's Memories / Franny Trionfetti Verdi

Trionfetti's Memories / Franny Trionfetti Verdi

Fortunately, unlike many adults today I have beautiful
childhood memories growing up at 609 Chestnut Ave.,
Trenton, nj across the street from my Dad's restaurant
"TRIONFETTI'S". Everything was so innocent and happy.
I remember walking with friends to the restaurant and
treating them to spaghetti&meatballs in the kitchen;
My Dad sending food to the nuns and priests at my
school, Immaculate Conception; Walking to "Ike's
Corner" our jitterbug meeting place - drinking
milkshakes that Hutch made and dancing our feet off,
only the girls of course. We then would go to the
"Diefies" we called it to meet all our friends and
maybe find a boyfriend, all very innocent and
thrilling. Of course the food was fantastic. My
Mother also worked at the restaurant and eventually
my whole family did at one time or the other. My
twin brother "Sonny T" who had the Sonny T Trio -
Bucky, Sonny V. and my brother - played there. In
fact that is how I met my X husband. Today I
conduct cooking classes - all my recipes are
inherited from Trionfetti"s Restaurant - the famous
Meatballs and Gravy, Chicken Cacciatore, Veal &
Peppers, etc. Even now as I write this, I have a
lovely, serene, happy feeling in my beautiful
Chambersburg memories. I could go on and on but
gotta go now. Franny T

Note this taken from Mercer County Italian Festival
site:)

5 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI MAC...IWANT TO ADD MY TWO CENTS TO THE MEMORY OF TRIONFETTI'S. AS A KID IN THE 1920'S IT WAS CONSIDERED A SPECIAL OCCASSION TO DINE THERE. MUCH LATTER ON I RECALL FRANK FRACELLA BEING THE HOAST THE LAST TIME WE DINED THERE. WE ALWAYS FELT THAT TRIOFETTI'S AND CHICK AND NELLO'S WERE BY FAR THE BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA. THAT'S SAYING A LOT WHEN CHAMBERSBURG HAD SO MANY FINE PLACES TO DINE. WE OLD TIMERS GREW UP ON GREAT ITALIAN FOOD. GOD BLESS THOSE YEARS. REGARDS.

Bob Reck said...

As a kid, Trionfetti's was almost a 2nd home to me. I remember way back before it was renovated and the long bar was on the right wall and the bar floor was small black and white tiles. Old man Trionfetti(Frankies father) still worked occasionally. My family would eat there 2-3 times a week. My dad would meet his friends there (George Kramer, Dick Tindall, etc)almost every afternoon to play cards and at times bring home a large kettle of snails or tripe in gravy. At times our group would eat in the "kitchen" and I remember being allowed to go back in the real kitchen and watch the chef make snapper soup.
Those were some of my fondest memberies of my youth before leaving for college. While I was away, Trionfetti's changed hands and was never the same.
Bob Reck

Tom Pass said...

Sadly, one of the last remaining restaurants in the Burg is Amici's which is in the same building. I still go there on occasion but always think of Trionfetti's and of course, Sonny who I worked many gigs with.

Bob Reck said...

I think Sonny had a place on Front St. and played tenor sax. I met him 1-2 times but really didn't know him. I'd be interested in what ever happened with Sonny.

Tom Pass said...

Sadly, Sonny passed away several months ago.