Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gary Bencivengo Remembers Butler Street In The Burg



Gary Bencivengo Remembers Butler Street In The Burg

Gary Bencivengo Wrote:

The building on the left of Landolfi's ( the one that doesn't
quite fit in with all the other row homes on Butler Street)
was actually an old farm house that was moved to that location
some time in the forties I believe. If you ever pass it on foot,
look at the alley along it's side, it still has the metal
carriage runners for a horse drawn carriage. The horses where
actually kept in the building to the rear of the house. I still
recall some old harnesses for the horses left there from the
previous owners as a kid. To this day I have an old leather
and metal bit I saved that was used in one of the horse's mouth.
My father owned the house as well as the bakery, and when I
moved the bakery to South Carolina I took with me the antique
wrought iron gate that was at the street end of the alley.
I grew up with that gate, and as a child always admired it's
beauty and craftsmanship . I just had to have a taste of my
old neighborhood to take with me. I still haven't found a
place to use it, but I'm sure i will !

Keep up the good work Mack ,
Gary Bencivengo

Thank You so much for this Gary. Its so good I made it a post:)

4 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI MAC...JUST UP THE STREET FROM GARY'S HOUSE WAS WHERE THE PETTITOS LIVED. THEY OWNED TONY CAL'S BAR AND RESTAURANT ON ROUTE 33 ACCROSS FROM OUR HAMILTON BOWLING LANES. THEY STRUCK GOLD WHEN WE DECIDED TO BUILD THE LANES THERE. MOST OF THE BOWLERS WOULD STOP FOR A BEER OR SOPMETHING TO EAT. THEY ALSO DID WELL ON TOMATO PIES. THE BROTHERS WERE VERY HAPPY BEST REGARDS.

JoeB said...

Ralph:
Do I recall correctly that Tony Cal had Pizza place at the White Horse Circle. 1947?

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI JOEB...YOU'RE RIGHT! TONY CAL DID HAVE A PIZZA PLACE AT WHITE HORSE AROUND THAT TIME. THE BROTHERS TONY, DOMENIC AND SAMMY TURNED THAT DRIVE-IN ON ROUTE 33 INTO A BIG MONEY MAKING OPERATION AND IT REALLY EXPLOADED WHEN WE BUILT THE HAMILTON BOWLING LANES ACROSS THE STREET.

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI JOEB...YOU'RE RIGHT! TONY CAL DID HAVE A PIZZA PLACE AT WHITE HORSE AROUND THAT TIME. THE BROTHERS TONY, DOMENIC AND SAMMY TURNED THAT DRIVE-IN ON ROUTE 33 INTO A BIG MONEY MAKING OPERATION AND IT REALLY EXPLOADED WHEN WE BUILT THE HAMILTON BOWLING LANES ACROSS THE STREET.